Mahinda Rajapaksa takes oath as new Prime Minister
Leader of Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) Mahinda Rajapaksa has taken oaths as the new prime minister of Sri Lanka a short while ago.
He was sworn-in before President Gotabaya Rajapaksa this morning (09) at the sacred site of Kelaniya Raja Maha Viharaya.
This is the fourth time Mahinda Rajapaksa secured the prime ministerial portfolio.
Mahinda Rajapakasa, who contested the General Election 2020 from Kurunegala, was elected to Parliament in August 2020 with the highest number of votes ever recorded by a single candidate in Sri Lankan parliamentary history, with 527,364 votes.
(AP Photos – By Eranga Jayawardena)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023