Manmohan to discuss resettlement of Sri Lanka Tamils in UAE
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has written to Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) general secretary Vaiko informing him that the Centre would be in touch with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in order to facilitate the resettlement of a group of Sri Lankan Tamils in UAE.
Mr. Vaiko had written to Dr. Singh, saying that if the 19 Tamils were deported to Sri Lanka, they would be tortured there.
The Prime Minister said in his letter that the UNHCR had already arranged resettlement in third countries for some of the Tamils in the group.
The Union government would remain in touch with the UAE authorities to facilitate the process to the extent possible, the Prime Minister added. (Source: The Hindu)
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
Thsi is gross interference in the internal affairs of the sovereign nation. The Indian Government should facilitate the return of the Sri Lankan refugees to Sri Lanka. The Government of Sri Lanka will assess the refugees’ social and other needs and rehabilitate them to be citizens who are able to contribute to the Nation.
A case in point is Cabinet Minister Karuna, ex-Eastern PC head, Pillaya and PK.
If these refugees with strong LTT links in the past are shielded in foreign countries, they will lead the rest of their lives with bitterness and anger. This will not help anyone.
Why not settle them in TN?