Manmohan to discuss resettlement of Sri Lanka Tamils in UAE
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has written to Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) general secretary Vaiko informing him that the Centre would be in touch with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in order to facilitate the resettlement of a group of Sri Lankan Tamils in UAE.
Mr. Vaiko had written to Dr. Singh, saying that if the 19 Tamils were deported to Sri Lanka, they would be tortured there.
The Prime Minister said in his letter that the UNHCR had already arranged resettlement in third countries for some of the Tamils in the group.
The Union government would remain in touch with the UAE authorities to facilitate the process to the extent possible, the Prime Minister added. (Source: The Hindu)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Moon landing today: US clinches first touchdown in 50 years February 23, 2024
- Johnston Fernando requests immediate probe into Sanath Nishantha’s death February 22, 2024
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s Public Security Minister affirms continuation of operations despite pressure February 21, 2024