MINISTER SENEVIRATNE BLAMES WEATHER FOR HIGH PRICE OF SALT, BIG ONIONS
The price of salt and big onions has escalated. This is normal in the agriculture sector even under any efficient administration because of the change in the weather patterns, says W. D. J. Seneviratne, Minister of Public Administration and Home Affairs.
He expressed these views at a ceremony held to declare open the new two-story building at the Kalawana divisional secretariat.
“The big onions were imported from India to fill in the shortage of big onions in the country. But at present big onions can’t be imported even from India because they too don’t have the necessary stock that we need. This is due to the heavy rains experienced in India. This shortage can’t be overcome by blaming our politicians or our president,” he added.
Courtesy: News First
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023