Morrison to iscuss Lankan refugees with Sushma
Posted in Local News
Australia will be raising the issue of the 153 Sri Lankan Tamil asylum seekers with India on Tuesday, when Australian immigration minister Scott Morrison will be meeting with external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj and home minister Rajnath Singh.
The asylum seekers, who are now at the centre of legal wrangles, had set off for Australia from a refugee camp in Podicherry.
The Tony Abbot government has a tough immigration position as one of the centre pieces of its domestic and foreign policy.
However, it remains to be seen if Australia can persuade India to take back the Sri Lankan Tamil refugees.
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023