Murder of wealthy businessman: Four Police officers arrested
The Criminal Investigation Department yesterday arrested four police officers in connection with the alleged murder of a wealthy businessman named Mohamed Siyam of Bambalapitiya.
The CID also obtained a statement from DIG Vaas Gunawardena in this regard yesterday.
Initial Police investigations revealed that Siyam’s murder was a contract killing undertaken for a consideration of Rs. 3 million. The four Police personnel arrested had been members of a security detail of a DIG.
According to the DIG this murder had been committed on May 22 on a contract given by a rival businessman who had given an initial advance of Rs 500,000 promising to settle the balance after the job was done. But the businessman who gave the contract had failed to settle the balance due for executing the contract after the murder had been accomplished.
The CID said the four policemen were arrested following clues obtained during interrogation of two suspects arrested earlier. Among those arrested are one Sub Inspector and three constables.
Initial investigations into this alleged murder were handled by the Colombo Crimes Division.
But the IGP later directed the CID to take over further investigations. The CID which took over the investigations arrested one of this police officers on June 5 and arrested the other three yesterday following interrogation.
(Courtesy: Daily News)
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023
There is no law and order in the country. Money seems to speak!