New Zealand-bound boat people arrested in Negombo
Posted in Local News
Eighteen Sri Lankans who attempted to migrate to New Zealand illegally were arrested in Negombo in a combined operation carried out by the Navy and the police last night.
Navy spokesman Lieutenant Commander Chaminda Walakuluge said a van used by the suspects were also taken into custody.
Fifteen of the arrested persons are reportedly Tamils while the rest are Sinhalese.
He said the suspects were handed over to the Negombo police for investigation.
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023