Nimal Lanza resigns from State Minister post
State Minister Nimal Lanza has resigned from his ministerial portfolio with immediate effect.
The SLPP parliamentarian has reportedly handed over the letter of resignation to President Gotabaya Rajapaksa.
Lanza was the State Minister of Rural Roads and other Infrastructure.
In his letter of resignation directed to President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, the SLPP parliamentarian said, although he could hold on to his position for three more years, his conscience no longer allows him to do so, at a time when the members of the public are gravely affected by a crisis.
There were several issues regarding Nimal Lanza’s ministerial post in the recent past.
Nimal Lanza has repeatedly called for the removal of the Secretary to the Ministry, but there was no confirmation as to whether the Minister resigned due to the unresolved issue.
Former Ministers Wimal Weerawansa and Udaya Gammanpila and State Ministers Susil Premajayantha and Jayantha Samaraweera also resigned during the past few weeks.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023