Nipuna withdraws appeal
The writ application filed by Nipuna Ramanayake and his mother G. Ramanayake in the Court of Appeal requesting to indict former DIG Vas Gunawardena over the alleged abduction and assault of the former by Ravindu Vas Gunawardena was withdrawn.
Subsequent to the withdrawal, Court dismissed the application.
At the time of the incident Nipuna Ramanayake and Ravindu Vas Gunawardena were students at the SLIT in Malabe.
Ramanayake was taken into custody by the Crime Detection Bureau. He was allegedly subject to assault and was denied of hospital treatment for a day, the petitioners alleged.
The former DIG and his son are held in custody as suspects in a separate case.
State Counsel A. Navai appeared for the Attorney General.
Attorney at Law J.C. Weliamuna appeared for the petitioners.
(Courtesy: Daily News)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Department of Examinations announced dates of Scholarship Exam, O/L, A/L March 1, 2024
- Central Bank officials summoned to party leaders’ meeting over salary hike March 1, 2024
- Sri Lanka halts free visas for long-staying Russian, Ukrainian nationals March 1, 2024
- UNFPA to assist Sri Lanka in modernizing statistical system for transition to digital economy March 1, 2024
- Sri Lanka to introduce National Cyber Security Act, establish Cyber Security Authority March 1, 2024