Past year marked important democratic gains in Sri Lanka: Kerry
The past year marked important democratic gains in Sri Lanka and few other countries, US Secretary of State John Kerry says.
John Kerry made the observation during an event today (29).
“The past year also marked important democratic gains in such countries as Nigeria, Burma, Sri Lanka, and Venezuela. With US help, Colombia moved closer to ending the world’s longest-running civil war,” said Kerry.
“As one year gives way to the next, international leaders have an opportunity to build on several major achievements of 2015. Despite turbulence and tragedy, the past year has provided fresh hope that the world community can come together and tackle even the hardest problems. That is good, because the demands of leadership are relentless and, as one calendar is replaced by the next, we must prepare — and, indeed, we are preparing — for the new tests that await,” he added.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President slams western media, says no to international probe October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Bondholder Lawsuit Should Be Put on Hold, U.S. Says October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023