Peliyagoda Urban Councillor found shot dead
A member of the Peliyagoda Urban Council, J. Chamila Sandaruwan, has been found shot dead inside his car at Tyre Corporation Junction in Dalugama, Kelaniya this morning, police spokesman SSP Ajith Rohana said.
The UPFA member was reportedly shot several times by an unknown gunman while he was driving the vehicle which had later crashed into a wall in the roadside following the shooting.
The deceased, a 23-year-old resident of Peliyagoda, was elected to the Urban Council from the United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) in 2011.
He had appeared before the Mahara magistrate’s court this morning over a case and was returning home alone after dropping off his parents when the shooting had taken place.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023