Pension benefits for prematurely retired War Heroes
Steps are being taken to provide pension benefits on the directives of President Maithripala Sirisena to the disabled War Heroes who volunteered to retire before the due retirement day owing to medical reasons.
“As at present, disabled War Heroes who have completed 12 years in service and the disabled War Heroes who volunteered to retire before their due retirement day on medical grounds are paid a monthly salary and disability pension until the age of 55 years,” a statement issued by Presidential Media Division said yesterday.
Disabled War Heroes who volunteered to retire before their due retirement day were not entitled to pension benefits after completion of 12 years service and no government in power drew their attention on this issue.
President Maithripala Sirisena, after considering the number of requests made by disabled War Heroes submitted a Cabinet Paper to ensure that these War Heroes receive pension benefits.
“These War Heroes will also be entitled to pension benefits as their contemporaries who have completed their service from February next year after the special Cabinet Paper is approved by the Cabinet.
A group of disabled War Heroes who have not completed 12 years of service held a protest opposite the Presidential Secretariat demanding pension benefits.
Secretary to the President P.B.Abeykoon and Defence Secretary Karunasena Hettiarachchi apprised the protesting War Heroes these decisions yesterday.
Arrangements have been also been made through the budget to provide the disabled War Heroes their basic salary and disability pension even after they reach 55 years.
(Source: Daily News)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s Public Security Minister affirms continuation of operations despite pressure February 21, 2024
- Rear Admiral Pradeep Rathnayake appointed as Chief of Staff of Sri Lanka Navy February 21, 2024
- Ceylon Electricity Board to reduce electricity tariffs by nearly 20 percent February 21, 2024