PM assures gender equality in Sri Lanka
The Prime Minister says the Government seeks to create the kind of setting that acknowledges gender equality and ensures protection, recognition and economic empowerment for all women.
He made the observation issuing a statement in view of the International Women’s Day.
In recognition of the tremendous contribution made by women towards the social wellbeing and the advancement of humanity, I believe we have a collective responsibility to ensure that they are assured of protection, appreciation and honour in every aspect.
As a society, we need to recognize the importance of gender empowerment and participation within the greater social context for us to create and sustain the kind of environment that encourages and empowers women to play a greater role in it.
I note with pride that the International Women’s Day is celebrated by the Ministry of Women’s Affairs under a theme of “Empowering Women for a Sustainable Future”, signifying the commitment of the Government towards empowering all women in Sri Lanka socially and economically.
We seek to create the kind of setting that acknowledges gender equality and ensures protection, recognition and economic empowerment for all women.
I take this opportunity to wish every Sri Lankan woman on this International Women’s Day that she will truly be able to actively play a significant role in participating in the country’s drive forward to prosperity.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023