Police nab 14,153 drunk drivers
From January to April of this year, 14,153 drunk drivers were detected, according to Police Media Spokesman SSP Ajith Rohana.
He added that 12 bus drivers will lose their licenses permanently if found guilty of drunk driving. The passengers and the public would otherwise have to face the risks, due to the negligence of such drivers, he said.
During the festive season last year, there were 62 fatal accidents, 212 serious injuries, 365 minor injuries and 325 cases of damage to property reported. During the festive season this year, from 10-17 April; 56 fatal accidents, 127 serious injuries, 243 minor injuries and 167 incidents of damage to property were reported. There were 51, 764 drunk drivers detected in 2013.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023