Police use teargas to disperse Mannar protest, three policemen injured
The Mannar police used tear gas to disperse protesters who attacked Police personnel and the court complex in Mannar with stones a short while ago. Over 500 protesters gathered in front of the Mannar town against the court order which was issued by the Mannar Magistrate’s Court last Friday, for the arrest of 16 fishermen.
Speaking to Ada Derana Police Spokesman SP Ajith Rohana said that police were compelled to use tear gas to disperse the protestors who had resorted to pelt stones at police and the court complex.
Three policemen have been injured, he added.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023