President inspects renovations of Ehelepola Walauwa in Kandy
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa inspected the renovation work of the Ehelepola Walauwa, which is more than 400 years old, at Raja Veediya in Kandy yesterday (January 06).
The building, which was used as a prison cell during the British colonial period and then a remand prison, was taken over by the Urban Development Authority and developed under the supervision of the Department of Archeology.
All renovation works of the building, which is of historical value, have been carried out without compromising the ancient design of the Walauwa. The President gave instructions to complete the renovation immediately.
Diyawadana Nilame Nilanga Dela was also present.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023