President instructs to lift social media ban
President Maithripala Sirisena has instructed the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission (TRC) Director General to lift the social media ban with immediate effect, the Government Information Department said today.
Although this ban has been lifted, the government requests people to use Social Media with responsibility based on the existing situation in the country.
The social media ban was imposed by the government on April 21 following the Easter Sunday attacks saying that false news reports were spreading through social media.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023