President leaves for New York to attend UNGA
President Maithripala Sirisena left the country today (Sep. 18) to attend the 71st United Nations General Assembly to be held at the UN Headquarters in New York.
He left the country at 10.45 a.m. by Emirates 651 passenger flight.
The General Assembly will be held from tomorrow (Sep. 19) to Sep. 26. The President will address the General Assembly on Wednesday (Sep. 21).
This is the second time that President Sirisena is addressing the UN General Assembly. This also will be the last assembly participated by the current UN General Secretary Ban Ki-moon.
Ministers Mangala Samaraweera, Gayantha Karunathilaka, Nimal Siripala de Silva, Arjuna Ranathunga and Faizer Mustafa and the Member of Parliament Nalaka Kolonne were among the delegation of the President.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023