President orders release of 29 Indian fishermen
President Mahinda Rajapaksa has ordered the release of the 29 Indian fishermen arrested on Sunday as a goodwill measure, Presidential Media Division said today. Sri Lankan Navy personnel arrested 29 Indian fishermen for poaching in seas north of Talaimannar on Sunday.
The arrested fishermen along their 6 boats were taken to Talaimannar and handed over to the fisheries inspector in charge of the area.
The fishermen are from Rameswaram.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023