President Rajapaksa receives World Bank top official
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma – (Pix By: Sudath Silva)
Visiting World Bank Vice President for South Asia Ms. Isabel Guerrero paid a courtesy call on President Mahinda Rajapaksa recently at the President’s House in Colombo.
The main focus of the key meeting between President Rajapaksa and the top of World Bank official was on the development assistance and possible support by the World Bank to Sri Lanka, especially on the government’s post-conflict massive development projects. Ms Guerrero is on a three day official visit to Sri Lanka to review the World Bank funded development projects. She visited Mannar, Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu to monitor number of such projects in areas previously under Tamil tiger control.
Currently Sri Lanka is receiving funds from International Development Association (IDA) of the World Bank. Additional funds draw from the IBRD for major infrastructure development projects. Ms Naoko Ishii, World Bank Country Director for Sri Lanka and Maldives, Lalith Weeratunga, Secretary to the President, P.B.Jayasundara, Treasury Secretary and Ajith Nivad Cabral, Central Bank Governor were also present at the meeting.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023