President Sirisena receives a warm welcome in London
By Janaka Alahapperuma – Pix by: Sudath Silva
President Maithripala Sirisena received a warm welcome as he arrived at London Heathrow Airport commencing his three-day official visit to the United Kingdom on 07 March 2015. First Lady Jayanthi Sirisena is accompanying the President. Two Sri Lankan children welcomed the President and the First Lady at the airport.
Her Majesty the Queen’s special representative Baroness Garden of Frognal was at the VVIP lounge at London Heathrow Airport, to welcome Sri Lanka President and the First Lady. President Maithripala Sirisena, as the Chairman of the Commonwealth, will attend the Commonwealth Day Celebrations on Monday (09).
Already arrangements have been made to an audience with Her Majesty the Queen at Buckingham Palace and a special meeting with British Premier David Cameron at his official residence.
Sri Lanka’s Acting High Commissioner in the UK, Dr. Chanaka Talpahewa, Mrs Talpahewa and the High Commission staff were present at the airport to welcome President Sirisena and his small delegation. This is newly elected Sri Lankan President’s first ever UK visit and first official engagement as the Chairman of the Commonwealth.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023