Rajitha calls for increased taxes on food containing excessive sugar, salt and oil
The Finance Ministry should increase the taxes on imported food containing excessive sugar, salt and oil to control rapid spread of Non Communicable Diseases (NCD’s) in Sri Lanka, Health, Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine Minister Dr. Rajitha Senaratne said.
Addressing the gathering during the World Heart Day celebration at the BMICH, Colombo yesterday, he said that 30 percent of Sri Lankan deaths are due to heart diseases and annually, 6,000 Sri Lankans die from heart disease.
“All those diseases are caused because of the taste. Smoking, alcohol etc are still very tasty for some people,” the minister said.
According to Minister Senaratne, it is the duty of the Ministry’s NCD Unit to formulate a plan to reduce the NCDs to 65 percent within the next five years and the required funds will be allocated for this purpose by the Minister. “The Education Ministry should educate the people on the negative impacts of smoking, alcohol and unhealthy food trends, while the Sports Ministry should promote physical activities,” he said. Minister Senaratne pointed out that the Agricultural Ministry should cultivate green leaves and offer the products to the public at a concessionary prices. The physical fitness of public servants’ should be taken in to consideration when granting them promotions.
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023
What an IDIOT to comment on COCONUT OIL, in fact a DOCTOR.
1. Coconut Oil Contains a Unique Combination of Fatty Acids With Powerful Medicinal Properties
– Coconut oil has been demonized in the past because it contains saturated fat. In fact, coconut oil is one of the richest sources of saturated fat known to man, with almost 90% of the fatty acids in it being saturated
2. Populations That Eat a LOT of Coconut Are Among The Healthiest People on The Planet
-Coconut is kind of an “exotic” food in the Western world, primarily consumed by health conscious people.
3. Coconut Oil Can Increase Your Energy Expenditure, Helping You Burn More Fat
4. The Lauric Acid in Coconut Oil Can Kill Bacteria, Viruses and Fungi, Helping to Stave Off Infections
5. Coconut Oil Can Kill Your Hunger, Making You Eat Less Without Even Trying
6. The Fatty Acids in Coconut Oil Are Turned into Ketones, Which Can Reduce Seizures
7. Coconut Oil Can Improve Blood Cholesterol Levels and May Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease
8. Coconut Oil Can Protect Hair Against Damage, Moisturize Skin and Function as Sunscreen
9. The Fatty Acids in Coconut Oil Can Boost Brain Function in Alzheimer’s Patients
10. Coconut Oil Can Help You Lose Fat, Especially The Dangerous Fat in Your Abdominal Cavity
11. Anything Else? This idiot should learn the true facts of coconut oil without killing it.
These politicians might be thinking that all Srilankans are uneducated and not aware of the real truth.
The reason to KILL coconut is to allow Pam oil, which is currently cultivating in the country by Ravi Karunanayake’s friend.
This is how politicians making their way…… Are we idiots?
I am very very disappointed with Tax Increases on Sugar and Oil. Before doing any of these ideas , Minister should start educating the Children in their young age. Increase or not people will not stop eating sugar and oil. You cannot stop peoples choices. Education is the main think should start from young age. When western educated people are now saying , coconut is good for the body. Every think should be Moderation. These Politicians think peoples are Idiots. Coconut oilis good and better for the health than this Pam oil.
Please Minister get on with your Ministry works rather than coming up with Idiot ideas.