Ranil Abeynaike passes away
Former cricketer and commentator Ranil Abeynaike has passed away today at the age of 57. He had been receiving treatment at a private hospital and died of a heart attack.
He has played first-class cricket for Sri Lanka, List A cricket as well as English county cricket for Bedfordshire. The Right-hand batsman also played for Sinhalese Sports Club (SSC).
In his first-class career(1973-1990), he played fourteen matches, scoring 412 runs at an average of 24.23, with a high score of 66. With the ball, he took 9 wickets at a bowling average of 40.00, with best figures of 6/131.
As a commentator he has commentated on cricket for United Arab Emirates based sports broadcaster TEN Sports since 2004.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023