Ranil denies Aluthgamage’s charge
UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe yesterday told Parliament that he had never conspired to kill any MP.
Wickremesinghe said so, making a special statement in Parliament yesterday in response to an allegation made by Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage that Wickremesinghe and Ranjan Ramanayake had conspired to kill him under the former government.
Wickremesinghe said that during a recent raid on MP Ramanayake’s residence the police had taken some recordings into custody. He demanded to know how they had found their way to the media. Wickremesinghe called on the police to take the recordings into custody, conduct an investigation and initiate legal action.
“I am not a conspirator. When I came to know this I made a statement in Parliament. This is in Hansard. The CDs were taken over by the police from Ranjan Ramanayake’s residence in Madiwela. Therefore, the Speaker could ask the police to get a hold of the CDs and if anyone has been involved in such an incident, then he could let the House know.”
(Source: The Island – By Saman Indrajith)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023