Ranil meets Modi in New Delhi
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe met with his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi at Hyderabad House in Delhi a short while ago.
The visiting Sri Lankan Prime Minister held extensive talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi on Tuesday, Indian Media reported.
This is Wickremesinghe’s first foreign visit after assuming office. Choosing India as his first foreign destination after becoming Prime Minister, is part of the efforts by the new government in the island nation to reinvigorate ties with India.
The visiting dignitary will also meet President Pranab Mukherjee and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
Sri Lanka released 16 Indian fishermen held by their Navy on the eve of his first foreign visit after assuming charge. Sri Lanka had earlier released 86 Indian fishermen ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi visit to Sri Lanka earlier this year.
The talks are expected to touch upon the sensitive fishermen issue and regional security.
The Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement, however, would not figure in the Lankan premier’s agenda in New Delhi.
He would also meet Railway Minister Suresh Prabbu, Power minister Piyush goyal, Minister of Road Transport and Highways & Shiping Nitin Gadkari and Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas.
The Prime Minister’s visit is coinciding with the meeting of the UNHRC in Geneva that took up several issues including the war crimes in the island nation.
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023
- It is imperative to equip our armed forces with state-of-the-art technologies and capabilities – Defence State Minister June 9, 2023
- ADB provides Sri Lanka access to concessional financing June 9, 2023
- Over 20 injured in bus lorry collision at Hanwella June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka signs agreement with RM Parks Inc to ensure uninterrupted fuel supply June 8, 2023