Rice mill owners creating a rice mafia – The All Ceylon Farmers Federation
The All Ceylon Farmers Federation accuses large scale rice mill owners of creating a rice mafia by using fake receipts.
Chairman Namal Karunaratne said rice mill owners are using various methods to sell rice to consumers at high prices.
Karunaratne said a prominent rice mill owner during a media briefing held on the 15th of April claimed that the time is not apt to discuss profit and loss, and that he is prepared to sell rice at a government stipulated price and that he would support any programme initiated by the President.
Karunaratne charged that all prominent rice mill owners over the past few days have issued receipts of Rs.88 or 89 for rice and have charged Rs.95.
The Chairman of the Federation claimed that the rice mill owner when questioned by the Consumer Affairs Authority admitted to obtaining large profit margins through the sale of various types of rice.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023