Sanath launches “Kreedawata Arunella” to uplift sports in Matara
A program called ‘Kreedawata Arunella’ (Dawn for sports) has been launched by the Matara district Parliamentarian, and the former Sri Lankan Cricket Captain Sanath Jayasuriya to help under privileged schools to improve sports talents of school children in the Matara district.
Under this program distribution of sports equipment and gear was held recently at the Gunaratne Maha Vidyalaya in Palatuwa. The programme is being sponsored by Sanath from his personal funds.
Addressing the gathering Jayasuriya said he had to undergo many difficulties during his sports career to emerge as a world renowned cricketer. He pointed out that his grit and determination was a good example for students who wished to come up in the field of sports. He said he hoped to extend this programme to cover all schools in the Matara district lacking in sports facilities.
Sanath, a product of St. Servatius College, Matara and well known as Jayasuriya among the cricket fans overseas was an all-rounder, who had an illustrious international cricket career that spread over two decades. He was also the Captain of the Sri Lankan cricket team from 1999 to 2003. He is the only player to score more than 13,000 runs and capture more than 300 wickets in One Day Internationals and is regarded as one of the best all rounders in the history of limited overs cricket. He retired from test cricket in December 2007 and from limited overs cricket in June, 2011.
Source: Government News Portal
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka lacks commitment and discipline – Murali December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe meets Bill Gates December 3, 2023
- Indian envoy visits Sri Lanka’s north, underscores India’s commitment to country December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President at COP28 urges bold action in the face of alarming climate predictions December 2, 2023
- Diana Gamage, Sujith Perera and Rohana Bandara banned from Parliament December 2, 2023