Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom
The Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security says the committee will not recommend privatising Sri Lanka Telecom, citing the possible exposure of matters sensitive to national security.
This was conveyed in a report titled “The Effects of Privatisation of Sri Lanka Telecom on National Security”, presented to the parliament by the committee’s chairman MP Sarath Weerasekara today (June 09).
MP Weerasekera said instead of privatising SLT, several other measures can be taken to address the current economic issues.
Sri Lanka Telecom is the national information and communications technology solution provider and the leading broadband and backbone infrastructure services provider in Sri Lanka.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sanath Nishantha to pay electric bills of SLPP low-income families October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President slams western media, says no to international probe October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Bondholder Lawsuit Should Be Put on Hold, U.S. Says October 3, 2023