Seven Sri Lankan women caught smuggling 2 kg gold
Seven Sri Lankans were caught at Kempegowda International Airport in Bangalore while attempting to smuggle in over 2 kg of gold valued at over Rs. 65.70 lakh.
According to Customs Air Intelligence Unit, the group comprised six women. They had arrived at 8 p.m. on Sunday. Six of them had concealed gold biscuits in their rectum while one lady had crushed gold bangles and hid it in her hair bun.
“They are part of an international gold smuggling racket that operates from Chennai and has links with South Asian countries,” said a senior customs official.
Interrogation revealed that the group was to be taken from Bengaluru to Chennai by a handler, who was waiting for them outside the airport. They were given Rs. 20,000 each for smuggling the gold, apart from airfare and accommodation.
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023
Sri Lankan Ladies. Very interesting. Any indication about their ethnicity?
Why care about ethnicity?
A crook is a crook; all are equal in the eyes of the law.
Gold biscuits hidden in the rectum !! Wonder if the biscuits were chocolate coated! Innovation, indeed.
“They are part of an international gold smuggling racket that operates from Chennai and has links with South Asian countries,” said a senior customs official.” If the smuggling rackets operates from Chennai there is a probability Tamils are involved. We all know majority of Narcotics smugglers come through Pakistan (and we know their ethnicity). As a sociologist it is worthwhile to know weather these smuggling has a link to ethnicity.