Situation in Puttlam under control : IGP
Inspector General of Police (IGP) N. K. Illangakoon assured today that the situation in Puttlam is now under control and normalising.
Speaking to the Daily Mirror he said that he instructed the police to continue with their routine duties, “We have not arrested any suspects so far,” he added.
The Army and the elite Special Task Force (STF) took control of the Puttlam town after violent clashes erupted on Sunday night which resulted in the death of a 23 year old Police Constable and injuring five civilians.
IGP Illangakoon was in Puttlam to discuss with police as to how the situation would be dealt with. He held a meeting with senior police and army officers in the area.
The army sent one company consisting of 120 troops. The law enforcement agencies warned that they will deal severely with those who spread rumours and attempt to provoke and mislead the public.
A number of statements were taken from people in the area but no arrests were made as the situation would have worsened if an arrest was made, the police said.
Eyewitnesses said the 23-year-old constable was on his way back to the station after traffic duty when he was severely assaulted by the angry mob in front of the Sathosa retail outlet.
On Sunday evening a tense situation took place in the Manalgunduwa area in Puttlam when at least five persons were injured during a shootout when the villagers ran amok when the police prevented them from catching a person who they thought was a ‘Grease Devil’. The unrest between civilians and the security forces spread to the Puttlam town following the shootout.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023