SLTB to get 1000 new buses
New Bus service linking the North and South operative
One thousand new buses are to be introduced to the Sri Lanka Transport Board to expand the public transport system, Sri Lanka Transport Board Chairman M.D. Bandusena said
He pointed out that they have decided to purchase 1000 new buses to further expand their transport service. It is effective under the programme of upgrading the transport service of the Sri Lanka Transport Board on the instructions of Minister Kumara Welgama. 400 buses are expected to be purchased before the end of next month under the first stage.
Meanwhile, a new bus service has been launched by the Sri Lanka Transport Board linking the North and the South. The service from Dondra Point to Point Pedro was operative from July 9th.
The new bus service was launched under the patronage of Minister Kumara Welgama. The service which began from near the Devinuwara Devalaya in Matara will proceed to Point Pedro. Two buses have been initially deployed for the service which is being launched by the Sri Lanka Transport Board. This is the first time that a direct service linking the North and the South has been mooted.
The new service was started under the Government’s programme of enhancing transport facilities of the people in parallel to the speedy development taking place in the country following its total liberation from the terrorists.
A cause for the launch of the bus service is the new trade and social links that had been built between the North and the South.
Courtesy: Government News Portal
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023