Southern Expressway from Galle to Matara vested in the people
The Second Phase of the Southern Expressway from Pinnaduwa in Galle to Godagama in Matara was declared open by President Mahinda Rajapaksa followed by religious observances at the Pinnaduwa interchange.
At the Pinnaduwa interchange the President purchased the first ticket, marking the first passenger to travel on the expressway. Thereafter the President travelled from Pinnaduwa to Godagama in Matara in a vehicle driven by Parliamentarian Namal Rajapaksa.
The President was warmly greeted by the Parliamentarians at the Imaduwa interchange. The President walked a short distance to greet the people Imaduwa, Deniyaya and Akuressa who had gathered on either side of the highway.
Thereafter President Rajapaksa commenced his journey from Imaduwa to Kokmaduwa where he was warmly welcomed by the Parliamentarians. Here too the members of the Maha Sangha chanted Seth Pirith, blessing the President. After greeting the people who had gathered there, the President commenced his journey along the Southern Expressway from Kokmaduwa to the Godagama Nilwala interchange.
At the Nilwala Interchange in Galle the President received a grand welcome. Prime Minister D.M.Jayaratna, Ambassador of China in Colombo Wu Jianghao, Ministers, Deputy Ministers, parliamentarians, foreign delegates, local politicians, school childen and a massive crowd were present.
Sri Lanka registered a landmark in its Expressway history on 27th November 2011. Since then remarkable achievements have been made in the Highway sector contributing to Sri Lanka’s journey towards becoming Asia’s Wonder. (Courtesy : Gov. News Portal)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023