Sri Lanka autorickshaw drivers say no to Nano
Taxi drivers in Sri Lanka’s capital held up traffic today, demanding the government should stop allowing anymore use Tata Nanos on the streets that offer stiff competition to the ubiquitous three-wheelers.
Hundreds of three-wheel taxis choked parts of the city for over an hour to protest against a taxi company, linked to a ruling party politician, from using a fleet of Nanos.
The politician was seen at the wheel of a Nano with President Mahinda Rajapakse at the passenger seat this week after Nano Cab company launched the cheaper taxi service earlier this month.
The Federation of Self-Employees (FOSE) said their members would lose business if the Nano cabs were allowed to expand.
The cab company had said it wants to increase the current fleet of 45 to 200 by the end of the year.
FOSE said President Rajapakse had promised in his election manifesto to grant them tax concessions to help reduce environment pollution caused by the Indian-made three wheelers, which have become the common man’s taxi.
The Nano service is offered at a lower price than air-conditioned cars and their fares are comparable to three wheeler charges.
“we are going to lose our jobs and the nano cabs will take over our taxi stands,” a spokesman for the protesters said.
Nano, although considered the world’s cheapest car, cost Rs 925,000 ($8,500) here, nearly three times more than its cost in India.
in srilanka any person who wants to do something good he will face this type of thingh to stop him to do good
Let the NANO taxi to come for service. In fact, the three wheel drivrs who are in Colombo so nasty. They Dont not know how to behave with customers. They dont have any fix prices. If you are smart enough then you can bargain with them otherwise you will be in deep trouble. It is better to introduce NANO taxi at least to have competitor for threel wheelers.
Mohamed Shareef Asees.
Ayyo ????????????? Ape rata me wage moda weda karanna giyoth diunu wenne komada?Kiyala wedak nehe.
The three wheelers are operated by small scale drivers who are either sole owners of the vehicle or hired from those who have access to finance.
Their behaviours represent that of the typical Sri Lankan worker who is not out there to make a million but to earn a bit of money to buy food for the family on a daily basis.
The Nano Taxis are apparently owned and operated by big business; the drivers employed by the Nano company are likely to be paid a pittance in return for greater effort.
Big business has access to money (and credit) and to managerial and operational resources to ensure an attractive return to its owners.
I suggest the one-man operated three wheel drivers band together as a “Workers C0-operative” (they existed in the old days wonder where they are now?) and come up with a business plan that can compete with the Nano Taxis. What’s required is honest and sincere leadership.
The question is are the three-wheeler use going to be permanent feature in SL or going to be phased out as the rickshaws were phased out in the ’50s?
Let’s look at the pros and cons rationally without getting emotional.
1. 3-Wheelers are poor man’s livelihood and poor man’s means of transport.
2. It is relatively cheap to buy, operate, maintain.
3. Those who cannot afford to buy it even through hire purchase, work for a mudalali who purchase it and own them, for the driver to operate and earn a living. The mudalali gets a daily cut.
4. It is the means of travel also for families who cannot afford a car, to purchase and run a 3-wheeler, as it is cheaper.
5. Three-wheelers can weave their way through traffic and narrow lanes quicker.
1. It is relatively unsafe.
2. It releases more polutants into the atmosphere through exhaust than a car.
3. It is noisy.
4. Though it is compulsory for 3-wheelers to operate only with a road worthiness certificate from the Ministry of Transport, after an annual check and an insurance certificate to operate for public transport, not all comply with it.
5. The fare is not regulated with a meter.
6. Sometimes they are jam-packed and overloaded with passengers, so that manoeuvrability and visibility is compromised, so that the risk is increased manyfold. The reason accident in Mavatagama in which all 6 passengers were killed is an example.
Introduction of Nano:
1. It is a development, clean and beautiful.
2. It is less polluting and relatively safer.
3. Passengers are safer from the elements, stormy
4. Fare is controlled by a meter.
1. The government to offer interest-free or low-interest loans to enable threewheel drivers to purchase and operate a Nano.
2. Such loans are provided to ONLY 3-wheel drivers for whom operating such a taxi service is their livelihood.
3. Annual MOT certificate and insurance certificate to be obtained for passenger safety.
4. Nanos not to be overloaded which would compromise safety.
5. Such loans are not for rich businessmen to operate a fleet but for poor 3-wheel drivers ONLY.
6. Government to strike a deal with Nano producers in India to provide Nanos at the same price as in India.
7. Customs duties to be waved for 3-wheel operators for whom it is their livelihood.
Nicholas Dias , are you jobless.
we are the only country in asia no have good taxi service,three wheelers anr not allowed some majaor city india, too,
Wimale, Are you JVP?
Wimal…! Nicola may works. in Angoda hospital. Man ohoma thamai., mental case… habei dan nam pissu thada wela wagee… aulak na man weda karana thana beheth denawa owata..! man kudu gahana kathawakuth mata kiwwa…! Ane manda., paw neda..?
No one can bring all into a same good state of living..!
The Govts task should be to treat equaly to all in the way how people will live in comfort according to Dhamma..! Just let the govt to solve it…!
Nicol maleea… eththatama pissuda nathnam hatida…?
Pissu normal da machan…?
‘Gods myth’ enken pissu nohadunoth thamai pudume kiyanne…!
Owa maha darunu leda malli…! Dan itin karanda deyak na, sorry thamai…. Monawa karandada…?
Samaharu ohoma leda walata beheth nokara deviyanta kannalaw karanawalu neda..?
Nicol.. Do you know why that US Church Center supported to channel 4…?
Can you stand on Srilankan soil while being a slaver of same fucking church…?
This’s what i say all troubles connected to the misbelief of yours..!