Sri Lanka condemns attack on Afghan Parliament
President Maithripala Sirisena condemned the terrorist attack on Afghanistan Parliament.
Describing it as a heinous act of terrorism, he said reiterated the collective need to defeat terrorism and other threats to democracy.
Full statement of the President:
“I condemn the attack on the Parliament of Afghanistan, a fellow democracy in the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) , as a heinous act of terrorism. Such attempts to subvert the country’s democracy should not deter Afghanistan in its fight against this menace.
As a nation that fought terrorism for nearly three decades and successfully eradicated it, Sri Lanka empathizes with the victims and their families and wish those wounded in the attack a speedy recovery.
We stand in solidarity with the Members of the Afghan Parliament and reiterate the collective need to defeat terrorism and other threats to democracy.”
President of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023