Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe meets Bill Gates
Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe engaged in discussion with Bill Gates, Co-Chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation today (December 03) at the 28th Conference of the Parties (COP28) in Dubai.
The discussions revolved around collaborative efforts to address global challenges and enhance Sri Lanka’s pivotal role in the world’s tropical belt.
During the meeting, Bill Gates expressed the commitment of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to support Sri Lanka in building a robust and climate-resilient nation.
The Foundation, which is already involved in initiatives in Sri Lanka, pledged to deepen its engagement with the country. Specific areas of focus include agriculture modernization and the establishment of data systems for agriculture.
The collaboration also aims to strengthen Digital Public Infrastructure and enhance Sri Lanka’s expertise in climate and adaptation.
President Wickremesinghe highlighted Sri Lanka’s green initiatives presented at COP28, seeking the support of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in advancing these sustainable projects.
The President emphasized the need for collective action to address pressing environmental issues and underscored Sri Lanka’s willingness to play a constructive role in the global effort.
Accompanying President Ranil Wickremesinghe in these high-level talks were Minister of Environment, Keheliya Rambukwella, Senior Advisor to the President on Climate Change, Ruwan Wijewardena and Secretary to the Ministry of Environment, Dr. Anil Jasinghe.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from March 05, 2024 March 4, 2024
- Electricity tariff to be reduced by 21.9% from midnight today March 4, 2024
- Court extends enjoining order safeguarding Sarath Fonseka’s positions in SJB until March 19, 2024 March 4, 2024
- Two former Sri Lankan police officers sentenced to death over custodial death March 4, 2024
- Manna Roshan’s brother killed in Hanwella shooting March 4, 2024