Sri Lanka to strengthen defence ties with China
Government hopes to further strengthen its defence ties with China this year.
Secretary of Defence Karunasena Hettiarachchi told Xinhua that China supported Sri Lanka to end the war against Tamil Tiger rebels and the government is in discussions to further strengthen the defence relations between the two countries.
“We are looking forward to a much stronger relationship with China. Already there are quite a few courses provided to Sri Lankan military personnel in China and we hope to expand our ties in this sector,” the official was quoted as saying.
Sri Lanka defeated the Tamil Tiger rebels in May 2009 after 30 years of war and the government of President Maithripala Sirisena earlier this year thanked China for its strong support to end the conflict.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023