Sri Lanka will lose USD 13m ?
Sri Lanka will lose USD 13 million of development assistance from the US if it does not address accountability issues raised by Washington, a media report said.
A unanimous decision by the US House Foreign Affairs Committee on Thursday decided to vote on such a ban if the Sri Lankan government does not address accountability issues, ensures media freedom and withdraws emergency regulations.
The US Congressman Howard Berman, a senior figure in the Obama administration moved the resolution to ban aid to Sri Lanka.
This came after the British TV Channel 4”s “Killing Fields” documentary, which was aired at the US Congressional auditorium.
The final decision on the aid cut has to be approved by the Senate and Congress. (PTI)
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023