Sri Lanka wins toss, elects to bat against South Africa
Sri Lanka captain Angelo Mathews won the toss and elected to bat first in the World Cup quarterfinal against South Africa on Wednesday at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
Veteran left-arm spinner Rangana Herath was ruled out of Sri Lanka’s squad hours before the match, and 22-year-old Tharindu Kaushal was rushed straight into the starting lineup.
South Africa chose Kyle Abbott, who has taken eight wickets in three matches during the tournament, at the expense of Vernon Philander.
Sri Lanka: MDKJ Perera, TM Dilshan, KC Sangakkara, DPMD Jayawardene, AD Mathews (c), HDRL Thirimanne, NLTC Perera, KMDN Kulasekara, PHT Kaushal, PVD Chameera, SL Malinga.
South Africa: HM Amla, Q de Kock, F du Plessis, RR Rossouw, AB de Villiers (c), DA Miller, JP Duminy, DW Steyn, KJ Abbott, M Morkel, Imran Tahir.
Umpires: NJ Llong (England) and RJ Tucker
TV umpire: RA Kettleborough (England)
Match referee: DC Boon
Reserve umpire: BNJ Oxenford
(The Hindu / Pix by AP)
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
Good! SL should score around 280 to put pressure against SA.
End of story; SL hammered badly in 18 overs.
Big mistake in keeping dinosaurs; failed to get a total score of at least 50 in the tournament.
Poor leadership, Matthews should be replaced as captain