Sri Lankan cricketer Danushka Gunathilaka accused of rape returns to court as new details emerge
Sri Lankan cricketer Danushka Gunathilaka has returned to court a day before he asks it to review his bail conditions.
The 31-year-old is behind bars on remand after being charged with four counts of sexual intercourse without consent.
He was excused from appearing in Sydney Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday when the court was told there was a subpoena to obtain digital material from a government agency.
Magistrate Robert Williams granted access to a USB containing files of interest.
The cricketers’s defence lawyers will be able to access the files that include CCTV footage from a railway station.
Mr Gunathilaka has not entered any pleas to the charges. He was arrested outside the Hyatt Regency Hotel on November 6 as his team were set to depart Australia.
Mr Gunathilaka will return to Sydney Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday to request a review of his bail conditions.
He will be taking his bid for freedom to the Supreme Court next month after he was refused bail in the Local Court on November 7.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023