Sri Lankan Expatriates in UAE donate Rs 3.9 million to Api Wenuwen Api Fund.
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma (Pix by: Sudath Silva)
Sri Lankan Expatriates of United Arab Emirates (UAE) donated Rs.3.9 million for ‘Api Wenuwen Api Fund’- (We for Ourselves) which is maintained by Ministry of Defence, at a ceremony with the presence of President Mahinda Rajapaksa. On behalf of the Sri Lankan Expatriates in UAE, Venerable Bengamuwe Nalaka thero handed over the cheque to President Mahinda Rajapaksa at Temple Trees on 27th August. This donation was collected by the patriots in UAE by organizing the ‘Ranawiru Gee Sendewa’ concert with the assistance of Sri Lanka Embassy and Council General Office in UAE recently.
The fund facilitates Api Wenuwen Api housing project aimed at building 50,000 houses for the members of the Armed Forces. Sri Lankan Expatriates in UAE have helped valiant soldiers in many occasions previously from the money collected through series of cultural and musical shows organized by their forums which are dedicated to improve welfare facilities to the war heroes.
Former Ambassador to UAE Janaka Bandara MP and the representatives of Sri Lankan Expatriates community in UAE were present at the occasion.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023