Sri Lankan tourists sent back home
Submitted by Walter Jayawardhana
They were proceeding to Velankanni
A group of Sri Lankan nationals proceeding to Velankanni on Sunday were stopped midway by the Tiruvarur district police who advised them to return to avoid any problem.
Seventy-five Sri Lankans arrived here by a Mihin Lanka flight on Sunday evening and immediately left for Velankanni by two omnibuses.
Sources said the buses were stopped on the outskirts of Needamangalam in Tiruvarur district and the tourists were advised to return to prevent any untoward incident. Later in the night, they left for Chennai to head back home.
There was a stiff opposition to the visit of a Sri Lankan MP, Karu Jayasuriya, to Tamil Nadu a few days ago with members of various political parties staging a demonstration at Tirukadaiyur in Nagapattinam district. Protests were held in front of the hotels at Tirukadaiyur and Tiruchi where the MP and his wife stayed.
A few months ago, a convoy of buses carrying Sri Lankan pilgrims were stoned on the city’s outskirts while they were returning from Velankanni.
They were all flown back to the island nation in a special flight from the Tiruchi airport. (Courtesy: the Hindu)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023
- Tamil Nadu government failed to understand the problem in Sri Lanka: Murali November 27, 2023
- Harin appointed Sports Minister, Pavithra appointed Irrigation Minister November 27, 2023