Sri Lankan tourists sent back home
Submitted by Walter Jayawardhana
They were proceeding to Velankanni
A group of Sri Lankan nationals proceeding to Velankanni on Sunday were stopped midway by the Tiruvarur district police who advised them to return to avoid any problem.
Seventy-five Sri Lankans arrived here by a Mihin Lanka flight on Sunday evening and immediately left for Velankanni by two omnibuses.
Sources said the buses were stopped on the outskirts of Needamangalam in Tiruvarur district and the tourists were advised to return to prevent any untoward incident. Later in the night, they left for Chennai to head back home.
There was a stiff opposition to the visit of a Sri Lankan MP, Karu Jayasuriya, to Tamil Nadu a few days ago with members of various political parties staging a demonstration at Tirukadaiyur in Nagapattinam district. Protests were held in front of the hotels at Tirukadaiyur and Tiruchi where the MP and his wife stayed.
A few months ago, a convoy of buses carrying Sri Lankan pilgrims were stoned on the city’s outskirts while they were returning from Velankanni.
They were all flown back to the island nation in a special flight from the Tiruchi airport. (Courtesy: the Hindu)
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023
I am shocked to learn the reception received by Karu Jayasooriya by the Tamilians while on pilgimage. Karu J is a spent force in politics in Sri Lanka; his leader, Mr Wimpy Wicks has ensured his irrelevance by not evn appointing him a ceremonial Deputy leader of the UNP. Karu J was on a pilgrimage to place his trials and tribulations at the feet of the almighty and has been deprived of the opportunity. He is of course, a confirmed lame duck. We all know how he drifted to the Blues party to hold the hands of the leader and he performed so miserably as the Energy Minister that he was asked to go back where he came from.
Please refer to my comments under the karunanidhi story for a possible strategy to deal with this issue.
This is a gross “Human Rights Violation” by India.
Going legally to a place to worship is a “basic” human right. If India violates such “basis” human rights, then how can they talk about other human rights violations in other countries?
Sri Lankan Buddhists who visit holy Buddhist sites in Southern India are being harassed and turned away. The Indian Police are failing to enforce law and protect Sri Lankan Buddhist pilgrims.
I am pretty sure visiting a Holy precinct is a universal human right and the Governments who control these areas are bound by international treaty to provide unfetterd access to these sites to anyone in the World.
As the Indian Government is flagarntly violating its obligations in providing access and seurity to Sinhala Buddhist pilgrims, GOSL should take the following steps:
1. Raise the issue with the UNHRC boss and seek UN protection to Sri Lankan Buddhist pilgrims in India
2.Propose a resolution in the ongoing UNHCR sessions against India including suspension of India’s membership in the UN if the violation of human rights of Sinhala Buddhist pilgrims are not rectified with a fixed timeframe
3. Consider utilising our own military to provide access and security to Sri Lanka Sinhala Buddhist citizens visiting holy sites in India
4. take up this issue with China and evolve a possible military strategy jointly with China to occupy and restore law and order in Sothern India