T20 World Cup: Sri Lanka’s Mendis on the mend for Super Eights
Sri Lanka hope spinner Ajantha Mendis can be fit for the opening World Twenty20 Super Eight match with New Zealand on Thursday after he returned to the nets following a side strain.
He suffered the injury during the hosts’ opening win against Zimbabwe last week and was left out of the rain-curtailed group defeat against South Africa on Saturday.
“We took an MRI scan on his left side and it showed a slight tear,” Sri Lanka manager Charith Senanayake told reporters.
“Mendis bowled a few overs at the nets today, but we will monitor him carefully and take a call whether he is fit enough to play against New Zealand.”
Mendis returned Twenty20 record figures of six wickets for eight runs against Zimbabwe before going off the field.
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023