The Presidential Election voting concludes – Over 80% voter turnout
Voting period for the Presidential Election 2019, which was carried out at 12,845 polling stations island-wide for the 15,992,096 eligible voters to cast their vote, came to an end a short while ago.
Execute Director of the People’s Actions for Free and Fair Elections (PAFFREL) Rohana Hettiarachchi said average voter turnout of over 80 per cent was recorded at the conclusion of the presidential election.
He said voting has been peaceful throughout the day.
Counting ballot papers is set to commence at 5.30 pm in the evening, the Election Commission’s chairman said yesterday.
A total of 1,550 ballot paper counting centres, including 371 for postal vote counting, have been set up island-wide to facilitate the process.
(AP Photo / Eranga Jayawardena)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023