The Speaker permits the arrest of UNP MP Chaminda Wijesiri
A senior police officer from Badulla district noted that the speaker has authorized the arrest of the UNP Badulla district MP Chaminda Wijesiri for the assault of a police officer.
A warrent has been issued for the arrest of an policeman from the MPs security personnel.
Bandarawela police informed courts that MP Chaminda Wijesiri was to be arrested yesterday.
Police also noted that the speaker had been informed of the action taken against the MP through the parliamentary police division.
The MP’s driver was arrested yesterday in connection to the incident and courts ordered that he be remanded until the 18th of February.
The assault by MP Wijesiri, resulted in a police constable attached to the Bandarawela police narcotics bureau sustaining injuries and being admitted to Bandarawela hospital.
Reports suggest that the assault occurred as a consequence of road rage on the part of the MP.
The vehicle that The MP was travelling in was assigned to DIG S.C Medawaththa from the police narcotics bureau.
- Sri Lanka signs agreement with RM Parks Inc to ensure uninterrupted fuel supply June 8, 2023
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
Hope this Thug will be kept in remand till the case is heard to an end.
If he is released on bail, he is likely to go around the country, smashing Policemen who are doing their duty.
From remand, he can be brought to Parliament for sittings in handcuffs and prison clothes.