Today is the 147th anniversary of Police Service in Sri Lanka
Today is the 147th anniversary of Police Service in Sri Lanka. The British rulers started the Police Service with the objective of maintaining law and order in the country. Mr. J.W.Cambell took the initiative in this connection.
On 3rd September 1947 Sir Richard Aluvihare became the first Sri Lankan Inspector General of Police.
The main Police Day celebration will be held this evening at the Bambalapitiya Police Divisions Headquarters. The chief guests at this function will be the Secretary to the Ministry of Law and Order Nanda Mallawarachchi and the Inspector General of Police N.K.Ilangakoon.
Religious functions in this connection will be held this morning at Gangarama Viharaya in Hunupitiay, Colombo, Mayurapada Hindu Kovil in Wellawatte, Devatagaha Muslim Mosque, St. Lucia Basilica in Kotahena.(niz)
(Source: Government News Portal)
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023