Today is the 147th anniversary of Police Service in Sri Lanka
Today is the 147th anniversary of Police Service in Sri Lanka. The British rulers started the Police Service with the objective of maintaining law and order in the country. Mr. J.W.Cambell took the initiative in this connection.
On 3rd September 1947 Sir Richard Aluvihare became the first Sri Lankan Inspector General of Police.
The main Police Day celebration will be held this evening at the Bambalapitiya Police Divisions Headquarters. The chief guests at this function will be the Secretary to the Ministry of Law and Order Nanda Mallawarachchi and the Inspector General of Police N.K.Ilangakoon.
Religious functions in this connection will be held this morning at Gangarama Viharaya in Hunupitiay, Colombo, Mayurapada Hindu Kovil in Wellawatte, Devatagaha Muslim Mosque, St. Lucia Basilica in Kotahena.(niz)
(Source: Government News Portal)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023
- Trains delayed on coastal line due to derailment near Kollupitiya September 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s revenue shortfall concerns IMF team – sources September 27, 2023
- Airman killed, another injured in explosion at Kandakuliya Air Force Training Camp September 26, 2023