Udayanga Weeratunga remanded
Former Sri Lankan Ambassador to Russia Udayanga Weeratunga has been remanded until February 17 by the Fort Magistrate.
He was accused of charges in connection with the financial fraud alleged to have taken place in procuring seven MiG-27 ground attack craft for the Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF).
The former ambassador, who was arrested by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) this morning, was produced at the Colombo Fort Magistrate’s Court, a short while ago.
Weeratunga was arrested upon arrival at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) early this morning (14), and was subsequently interrogated by the CID officers.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023