UK Minister Tariq Ahmad calls Sri Lankan President to discuss security and economic situation in Sri Lanka
The United Kingdom (UK) will continue to support Sri Lanka, UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Minister Lord Tariq Ahmad said yesterday (July 23).
He said he had a “constructive call” with Sri Lankan President Ranil Wickremesinghe about the concerning security and economic situation in Sri Lanka.
He said the over the phone discussion also focused on the rights to peaceful protest, media freedom, human rights and justice.
The United Kingdom will continue to support Sri Lanka through these challenges, he said.
Constructive call with President Ranil Wickremesinghe @RW_UNP today about the concerning security & economic situation in Sri Lanka 🇱🇰 Also focused on rights to peaceful protest,media freedom,human rights&justice. UK 🇬🇧 will continue to support Sri Lanka through these challenges. pic.twitter.com/ZfI6dGAteZ
— Lord (Tariq)Ahmad of Wimbledon (@tariqahmadbt) July 23, 2022
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023