Unit 2 of Norochcholai power plant suffers breakdown
Unit 2 of the Norochcholai Coal Power Plant, which generates 270 megawatts of electricity, experienced a breakdown early this morning (August 08), the Power and Energy Ministry said.
Meanwhile, Unit 3 of the power plant has remained inoperative since June 13, 2023 for scheduled major overhaul maintenance work.
As a result, only one unit of the power plant is operating at the moment and it adds 300 megawatts of electricity to the national grid.
According to Minister of Power & Energy Kanchana Wijesekera, there will be no power cuts scheduled by the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB).
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023
- Two killed, two injured in shooting at Avissawella September 21, 2023
- Batticaloa Campus returned to Hizbullah September 20, 2023