UNP to place Gota’s fate in SF’s hands?
The UNP has sought to shift the responsibility for handling former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s citizenship to Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka, according to sources.
It was decided at a meeting between senior UNP ministers and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, yesterday, to have Fonseka appointed Minister of Internal Affairs.
The Internal Affairs Minister is responsible for issues related to citizenship.
The UNPers decided to nominate Field Marshal Fonseka for that post and convey their decision to the President’s office, yesterday itself.
The post of Internal Affairs is currently held by Minister Vajira Abeywardena in addition to the Home Affairs portfolio.
The Prime Minister’s Office has informed Fonseka of the decision and instructed him to monitor the ministry’s functions with immediate effect.
The nomination would be delivered to the President’s Office and President Maithripala Sirisena, who was scheduled to leave for Japan last evening. He will return on April 14.
(Source: The Island – By Saman Indrajith)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- IMF Team to conduct second review of Sri Lanka’s EFF program in March 2024 February 28, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024