UPFA wins all but 2 of 23 LG bodies
The ruling UPFA, led by President Mahinda Rajapaksa, won all but two of the 23 local government bodies that went to the polls yesterday (Oct. 08).
The main opposition UNP claimed the key Colombo Municipal Council, while the SLMC retained its hold on Kalmunai Municipal Council in the East.
The UNP lost control of the municipal councils of Kandy, Nuwara Eliya, Negombo, Dehiwala-Mt. Lavinia and Gampaha.
According to final results, the UPFA has secured 245 seats in all the 23 LG bodies, followed by 131 seats by the UNP, 11 seats by the SLMC, five seats by the JVP and 28 seats by independent groups.
Courtesy: SL Mirror
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023