Vote on SL ‘politically motivated’-Russia
Without criticizing India directly for backing the US-initiated resolution against Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council, Russia has described the resolution as “politically motivated” and one that has ended up discrediting the Council itself.
The remark by Russian ambassador Alexander M Kadakin, ahead of the BRICS summit in New Delhi, has brought to the fore differences among the grouping which is seeking better coordination on major international issues.
“Sri Lanka was India’s sovereign decision. The resolution was politically motivated and has discredited the UNHRC,” said Kadakin.
“Why did it all of a sudden decide to take up a country-specific resolution? That is not how the UNHRC works,” he added. Both Russia and China had voted against the resolution censuring Lanka for human rights violations.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last week wrote to Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, saying that he himself had ensured that India dilute the wording of the draft to safeguard against any inclusion of monitoring mechanism. (TNN)
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023